This Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is full of flavor. All of the work is done in the slow cooker for an easy quick dinner.
People think that just because I have a food blog that I’m an amazing cook who has dinner perfectly plated on a perfectly set table every night of the week. Oh, I wish that was the case.
I have flops. This week alone I tried five recipes and only two I can say were worth keeping. I misread recipes. I forget entire ingredients. My son twists the knob on the oven to BROIL and next thing you know dinner is burnt.
I will say that since I do cook a lot, I’ve learned tips and tricks along the way to know what works and what doesn’t.
My friend always tells me that she’s intimidated to have me over for dinner. Oh please. If I didn’t have to cook it, it will be the best meal I’ve ever tasted.
I realize by saying that is sounds like I hate cooking which I don’t. I just don’t love getting a dinner on the table every night that will most likely elicit a complaint from at least one child. And I don’t love trying to make dinner while simultaneously doing homework, feeding my baby, and clearing the dishwasher.
I do love trying new recipes. I do love cranking up my Coldplay station on Pandora in the kitchen while making dinner. I do love making cookies in the middle of the day just because I’m craving a bite of dough. I do love making something that as soon as I taste it, I know will be a family favorite. THAT…I love.
This cashew chicken has been all over Pinterest and I finally gave it go on a day that I needed a no-fuss meal. My husband still isn’t sold on chicken thighs but he didn’t even mind them in this dish. In fact he loved it. This dish has great flavor that had me going back for seconds. I’m sure you could use breasts as well just make sure to cook them for less time.
- For the chicken:
- 2lbsbonelessskinless chicken thigh
- 1/4cupall purpose flour
- 1/2tspblack pepper
- 1Tbspcanola oil
- For the sauce:this should be doubled if you want plenty to pour over rice
- 1/4cupsoy sauce
- 2Tbsprice wine vinegar
- 1Tbspbrown sugar
- 1garlic cloveminced
- 1/2tspgrated fresh gingersee Note
- 1/4tspred pepper flakes
- Note: I don't use ginger a lot so to buy fresh ginger for just a small amount isn't reasonable. My grocery store sells pureed ginger in a tube that lasts longer and you can use it as you need. Or you can freeze your fresh ginger.
- For the chicken: Trim any visible fat off the chicken. Combine the flour and black pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add the chicken and shake to coat with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.
One of my most popular posts last year was 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Slow Cooking. I shared how to get off crusty cooked on stains, how tapioca is a great thickener, why I use paper towels for baking and more. I felt that it was appropriate to add a 2nd edition for all you peeps out there that love your slow cooker and want to have the best results possible! So here you are, friends, 5 more tips and tricks to help you become a slow cooker connoisseur.
P.S. Like this tip? Find all my kitchen tips here.
11 CommentsFiled Under: UncategorizedTagged With: All Posts, FAQ, kitchen tip tuesday, Tips